D23 Expo Thoughts
I spent a lot of the past weekend practically stalking Twitter for D23 Expo updates. I was mainly looking forward to hearing about the movie details and announcements as well as the Disney Parks and Recreation Panel.
I was too tired to make it until the early hours of the morning to watch the Disney Park and Resorts Panel live but I was straight on my phone when I woke up to see what I'd missed. I watched a few clips, read a few tweets and articles to catch up. I thought I would put a post together about I feel about a few of the different announcements and I would absolutely love to hear what you think of D23 Expo so be sure to let me know in the comments!
- I think that Wreck it Ralph is quite an underrated film so I was a little surprised that they decided to make a second film. I am really excited for it though as I was a big fan of the first film. Wreck it Ralph 2 was quite a feature of D23 and I can't wait to see the scene with all the different Disney Princesses. I think the announcement of the princess feature will definitely create anticipation leading up its release.
- Another talking point was Toy Story 4. I was a little disappointed to hear that John Lasseter won't be co-directing Toy Story 4. John is one of my favourite Disney Cast Members and I think it is a shame he won't co-directing the film this time. I've love the first three Toy Story films but I think this announcement kind of confirms to me that a fourth wasn't necessary. I'll still go and see it when it is out and I'm sure I will love it anyway!
- I haven't really heard much about A Wrinkle in Time but from the trailer I think that it will be a really good film, not that I would expect anything less from Disney. It hasn't been advertised very well so far in my opinion, so I hope that it gets some better marketing in the run up to the release.
- They announced that they are going to be releasing a Live Action version of Dumbo. Whilst I am not a huge fan of Disney doing so many live action remakes, this one I am quite excited about. I love Dumbo and I think that they will do the film justice.
- They showed a clip from the Live Action 'The Lion King' which is one of the things I am most disappointed not to have seen as it was said to be amazing. The Jungle Book was absolutely amazing in live action so I can just imagine what The Lion King will be like.
- Colin O’Donoghue who plays Hook in Once Upon A Time attended the D23 Expo which I am definitely disappointed to have missed out on! They made some announcements about the next season of OUAT (read here) and I am disappointed to say that I'm not looking forward to the next season. It has been announced that a lot of the cast won't be in the next season and the storyline seems too different for my liking. I really wish they had finished OUAT after the last season as it looks like it is about to change completely.
- Alan Menken performed a set of Disney songs for those at D23. I would have loved to have seen him perform. I can imagine that it was like nothing else watching the Disney Legend perform the classic Disney songs he is responsible for.
I was most excited for the Disney Park and Resorts panel. I couldn't wait to here what Disney had planned for the parks around the world. The panel took place at 11pm UK time and went on for quite a while so I didn't manage to watch it live. When I woke up the next morning I was straight on my phone to find out what I had missed.
- They announced that the new Star Wars land will be named 'Star Wars: Galaxys Edge' in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. I'm not a fan of Star Wars as in my eyes it isn't Disney, don't hate me! I do think that the Star Wars land will be amazing so I will probably have to watch the films at some point... They will also be opening a Star Wars themed hotel which looks like nothing I have ever see Disney do. It is meant to be a completely immersive (and expensive) experience.
- Toy Story Land is scheduled to open in Summer 2018. I am visiting WDW this year so it is unlikely I'll be making a trip there next year. I am really disappointed I won't be visiting next year when the land opens as it is the most excited I have been for a WDW change in a long time. Hopefully it won't be too long after it opens that I will get to visit!
- I love that they announced the addition of a Tron ride in the Magic Kingdom. There were rumours that it would replace Speedway but instead it is being placed behind Space Mountain. Whilst I am glad they didn't have to close a ride for it to open, I do still think that Speedway needs some kind of refurbishment in the near future. I have seen videos of the Tron ride in Shanghai and it looks amazing so I can't wait until it opens in WDW. It is definitely one of the announcements that I am most excited about. It will be opening in time for the 50th anniversary in 2021.
- As rumoured The Great Movie Ride will be closing for a new Minnie and Mickey ride. The new ride will be called Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. I have always liked The Great Movie Ride but it has never been a personal favourite. I do think that it needed to be closed and replaced but I didn't think it would close so soon. The ride will close on August 13th so there isn't long to ride it for the last time. I thought I would get to ride it for the last time when I go in October but unfortunately not. I do love the idea of Mickey and Minnie being the focus of the ride though. I love old school Disney so I think it will be a ride I'll love.
- One of the highlights of the panel was the announcement that the Disneyland Paris ride Ratatouille is being made in WDW. I had heard rumours that they would be adding Ratatouille to EPCOT and I am over the moon that the rumours are true! I know a lot of people are disappointed about the decision as the ride will no longer be Disneyland Paris exclusive. However I think that as someone who visits Disneyland Paris and WDW I am pleased with the decision and I don't think it will massively affect Disneyland Paris. It is one of my all time favourite Disney rides so I can't wait for it to be in Disney World!
- I thought that there would be quite a few announcements for Disneyland Paris but there was only one announcement. Disney's Hotel New York will be renovated into The Art of Marvel. I know that the hotel needed a refurb but it is disappoint that there were no announcements beyond that. I really feel that Walt Disney Studios in particular would benefit from new attractions. I would have loved something similar to Toy Story Midway Mania for example. Hopefully at the next expo Disneyland Paris will get more of a feature.
- The new transport systems for WDW look amazing! I love the look and idea of the Skyliner Gondola system they are going to be adding to the resort. It will link some of the hotels including Caribbean Beach Resort with Hollywood Studios and Epcot. I can only imagine the views you will get from there. I think it will be extremely popular with guests and I can't wait to try it myself when it opens! They are also adding another transportation system, Minnie Vans. It will be an almost 'Uber' like system which will transport guests to and from the different Disney resorts. The service is due to start in the next few weeks.
- My heart definitely belongs in Walt Disney World but recently I have really been wanting to go to Disneyland California. My knowledge of the park isn't anywhere near my knowledge of WDW so the announcements went a little over my head. The announcements did include 'Pixar Pier' taking over Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure. As I have never visited the park I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing but anything Pixar sounds good to me!
The whole D23 Expo experience sounded amazing and I definitely felt like I was missing out not being there. Although I have heard it is quite a crazy experience as it is so busy. I'm not sure standing in line for 3 hours to see a panel is something I would rush to do anytime soon.
I have really enjoyed reading all about the different announcements online and I'm super excited for the years to come to see what happens within Disney. If you want to catch up on everything from the D23 Expo then I would definitely recommend https://ohmy.disney.com. I found it really easy to catch up on what I had missed using the site and it didn't take me forever to read it all. If you are interested in the Walt Disney World news then I would check out Charlotte | Lilmisschickas. She uploaded a great video talking about what she thinks of the WDW annoucements.
I would love it if you would follow my blog via email which you can do to the right hand side on desktop or below on mobile. Each week you will receive an email letting you know the blog posts you might have missed that week.
Be sure to let me know what you thought of the announcements made at D23 in the comments or over on Instagram, @bethhnewtonx.
Also I would love it if you would follow my blog via email which you can do to the right on desktop or below on mobile. Each week you will get an email sent directly to your inbox letting you know the blog posts you might have missed that week.